Hoary / Gnome 2.10 : worth it ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Mon Feb 14 19:01:55 UTC 2005

> That's "Menus & Toolbars" in the preferences menu.

Thanks, will have a look next time I start Hoary.

> >If it were so simple :-/  I would happily stay with Warty, if all the
> >libraries and applications were updated/backported.
>
> Why updating if you think that new applications are not an improvement ?

He ? I beg tour pardon ? Why are you being sarcastic ? I made comments
on just two little things in Gnome 2.10, mixer and menu editing, that's
all. What is wrong with that ?

> I don't think so. The new menu is using the freedesktop specifications
> which is a great improvement.

I am just a user, I don't know what the hell is freedesktop. What I see
is that as a user, I can't edit my menu anymore, so I can't add new
programs (many don't add entry) nor reorganize the menu structure to my
likings.

> The new layout is better too.

I didn't spot any difference between the Warty and Hoary menus...

> another advantage of using a standard is that you can whatever freedesktop menu editor to
> edit the menu (ie: the xfce one).

I agree and fully understand that using a standard for menus, is a good
thing for communicating between different desktops environments. The
only problem I hjave is that AT THE MOMENT, it looks like 2.10 will be
released without a built-in GUI to edit the menu.
I am glad there are tools (Xfce) that can get you going, but that's only
a "will do" solution. It's not nice from Gnome to remove functionality
BEFORE developping an (acceptable for joe public) alternative solution !
BUt that has already been said in the thread you pointed me too, so I
will stop there.

> A lot of people are happy with all the improvements in GNOME 2.10, feel
> free to disagree

Thank you.

>  I'll not discuss this for hours.

Me neither !!! My intention was only to gather a few opinions from
people, but you started flamming me and I ended spending all my time
"figthing" with you, what a waste :o(

Vince.