large usb2 hard disk drive booting diff computers?

Thomas Kaiser thomas at kaiser.linux-site.net
Mon Feb 14 18:20:37 UTC 2005

I did install GRUB on one of my USB HDs some time ago. After I set the
BIOS to boot from USB, it booted like it would be a ide HD. But the
problem is to mount the USB HD as the root device. You have to make sure
that the right USB drivers are loaded at boot time. This is usally done
with an initial ramdisk (initrd).

After the right drivers are loaded, it shouldn't be a problem to mount
the USB HD and run linux of it.

I hope this information points you in the right direction. Just try to
install ubuntu and make sure GRUB gets installed on the MBR of the USB HD.

Regards, Thomas