Monitor Issue

info at arthacking.org info at arthacking.org
Mon Feb 14 09:55:04 UTC 2005

Quoting karigna <karigna at verizon.net>:

> Ubuntu has been the best Linux distribution for me after trying Fedora, Red
> Hat & Suse but I do have one small problem. I just purchased an LCD monitor
> and it will only accept 60Hz at its highest resolution of 1280 x 1024. When
> I reboot the Ubuntu machine it reverts to 75Hz and the monitor indicates an
> out of range signal and thus will not work with Linux. I set the option for
> screen resolution under Computer/System Configuration/Screen Resolution and
> checked the box to retain the settings but it reverts on a reboot. The only
> way to get back to 60Hz is to plug in another monitor and make the change
> and re plug-in the LCD.
>
> Do I need to write the settings to a file to make them permanent?
>
> Kevin

Hi there.

It sounds to me like the most straightforward solution would be to change the
settings to the config file. Its a pretty straight forward file to change. Just
make sure that you back up the original file first....

The file you want to edit is /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 (if you are running warty) Just
look for the section that has your monitor's refresh rates, and replace the
settings with what is appropriate for your monitor.

One word of warning: Depending on your monitor, putting the wrong entry in here
could fry your monitor, so make sure you know what the vert refresh rates for
your monitor are before you do this.

A google would be a good idea before proceeding, as well as checking the unbuntu
forums...

If you still have troubles, post the contents of your /etc/X11/XFConfig-4 file
and I can give a little more specific help.

Hope that helps,

Ben