GUI Wireless Tools

Ben Novack bennovack at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 06:15:16 UTC 2005

The part that takes forever is the network device trying to get a
DHCP-assigned address. So while it's waiting on a DHCPDISCOVER, I hit
ctrl-c and kill that process. You can tell which one it's using
because it'll say eth1 or eth0.

(it's also worth noting that, strictly speaking, I don't actually do
that yet; at the moment I usually only have access to wireless, so if
I want to use wired, I kill wireless during bootup and flip wired on
once gnome loads. So it might not work in practice, but I seem to
recall doing it once.)

I'll test it more thoroughly the next time I have a chance to boot
into Ubuntu, and post my results.

---Ben