Live CD / bug reporting (Re: new look installer... why?)

Ari Torhamo ari.torhamo at saunalahti.fi
Fri Feb 11 07:35:45 UTC 2005

> The only way that bugs like these can be fixed is if users like you report
> them.  If you give up without telling us, then we won't know that you have a
> problem.
>
> I would appreciate if you would download the latest live CD milestone
> release for Hoary and test it:
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hoary/array-4/
>
> and if you encounter any problems, report them at
> http://bugzilla.ubuntu.com/
>
> --
>  - mdz

I tried Hoary (Array-4) for the first time using the live CD version. I
didn't have much time to test it, maybe an hour or so. I was suprised
how well everything worked - actually so well that I begun to consider
switching to Hoary :-) The only problem I encountered was that the
scandinavian special letters didn't work, even though I chose Finnish
keyboard layout during the boot up. When I pressed the keys in question,
nothing was printed on the screen. I tried this with different programs
and applications. Punctuation marks and other such things were in their
right (Finnish) places, so the keyboard layout was changed - just these
special letters "ä" and "ö" didn't work. Should this be reported as a
bug? If the awnser is yes, I can do the reporting.

I'm glad to tell that there were no problems with IDE devices. I was
able to mount the NTFS partition and browse it as normal. I was hoping
to find a GUI tool to do the mounting, but I guess there won't be one in
Hoary?

One more language thing. There seemed to be several menu entries in
Gnome panel, that were in English, although the same ones were
translated into Finnish in Warty. Some of these entries were
Accessories, Games, Office, System tools, Recent documents, etc. There
were many Finnish ones left though.

Regards,

Ari Torhamo