zeroconf

Sam Tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 21:58:15 UTC 2005

thanks i think i am beginning to understand how the system works. theres a bit that converts names to ip address, nss-mdns, and the bit that advertises services, mdnsresponder.
nss is the gnu system for network information, such as dns lookup, and the nss-mdns is a plugin so that it can do the zeroconf lookup (eg flute.local -> 192.168.1.103).

i have played around a bit and followed instructions on http://0pointer.de/lennart/projects/nss-mdns/. both machines now have nss-mdns and mdnsresponder and howl-utils. i can 'ping titania.local' from flute, but cant 'ping flute.local' from titania.

could this be an architecture problem? (flute is x86, titania is ppc32)

thanks

sam

ps

zeroconf/howl is an item on the hoary goals page
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/HoaryGoals/view?searchterm=zeroconf
but it say that it needs further discussion.

i think it would be great for hoary to be able to do 'ssh flute.local' out of the box it would save the bother of using static network settings if you want to talk to the rest of the network.