moving folders

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 9 16:32:23 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 06:16:17PM +0200, Ari Torhamo wrote:
> ke, 2005-02-09 kello 15:28 +0000, Jon Dixon kirjoitti:
> > Or do Floppy\ Files ...
> >
> > Or use bash's completion.
> >
> > Or use more *nix-friendly names :)
>
> I hope this thing is going to get fixed sometime in the future. Things
> not working properly when leaving a space between the words in a name of
> a directory sounds like a place for improvement. Would fixing this be
> difficult, much work or cause other problems?

Things work fine provided you quote properly. It's not a fundamental
problem; just some people write shoddy code, that's all.

When using a shell by hand, tab-completion is definitely the way
forward, and is much easier than typing the filename out by hand anyway.
:-) Since spaces are used to separate arguments in the shell, this is by
far the easiest approach that doesn't involve a total loss of backward
compatibility.

Cheers,