Installing applications

Jon Dixon dixon.jon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:33:48 UTC 2005

Hi Vincent

I believe the menu system will be fixed when GNOME have finished
tweaking their work on the version Ubuntu Hoary will be using.

Maybe a developer can correct me if I am barking up the wrong tree :)

- Jon

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 15:25:01 +0100, Vincent Trouilliez
<vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> Yep, would be great if applications reliably installed themsleves in the
> Aapplications menu. So far, only a few of the apps I installed, showed
> an entry in the menu.
> Of course, not a big deal, however for Ubuntu, the "polish" and overrall
> user friendlyness and simplicity/ease of use, are a major goal. So it
> should be looked at quikcly.
>
> On a related note, we should also have an easy way to customize the
> Applications menu. With Warty it's okay, it's easy to add a new entry or
> create enw sub-menus. The only criticism I would have, is that it's not
> possibleto control the order in which entries are listed in a given
> sub-menu.
>
> But I am worried about Hoary, I tried the Array 4 version, and it now
> seems impossible to add new entries. I hope the stable/final release
> will come with improved functionality and ease of use compared to Warty,
> not a less flexible and more complicated one....or that would be  :-/
>
> Vince, quite worried about Hoary's menu system.... :-(

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we
can solve them.
   - Isaac Asimov