xcdroast and DVD burning

Brian Pack darkaudit at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:05:52 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 07:02 am, Thomas Debost wrote:
> HI
>
> I recently switched to ubuntu and noticed some really bad performance when
> burning DVDs with xcdroast and cdrecord.prodvd
> My drives are detected as ATAPI drives which is known to generate bad
> performance when burning.
> I didn't have this problem with Fedora.
>
> Any suggestions ?

What do you mean by 'really bad performance'? If you're talking 'much slower
than normal', you may want to check that DMA is enabled for the drive. Use
this:

hdparm -d /dev/dvd

to see if it's enabled. If not, do 'sudo hdparm -d1 /dev/dvd' to enable it.

I had a couple of burns with my 16x burner take an hour or more before I
realized that DMA needed to be set. A google search suggested
editing /etc/hdparm.conf to set DMA at boot, but when I did, I got /dev/hdc:
no such file or directory. It appears that udev isn't finding the CD/DVD
drives until later in the boot, so they aren't there yet when hdparm runs.