GUI Wireless Tools

niran ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed Feb 9 07:48:43 UTC 2005

Ed Fletcher Wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Does anyone know of a Gnome interface to iwlist and iwconfig?
>
> Or is there something else I should be using?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed
> --
> Ed Fletcher
> ed at fletcher.ca
>
> What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless,
> whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of
> totalitarianism
> or the holy name of liberty or democracy?  -  Mahatma Gandhi
> (1869-1948)

I'm running Warty and I use Debian's netapplet package:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/netapplet

If you're running Hoary, I think there's a package in universe that
depends on Gnome 2.9 libraries. Netapplet hasn't been all that great
for me though. When I tell it to use the wireless interface, it doesn't
get an ip address for it (or maybe it tries and fails). I run dhclient
on the interface afterwards to get everything set up.

Another option is NetworkManager:
http://people.ubuntu.com/~thom/network-manager/

I haven't been able to try that one out because Warty's ndiswrapper
version doesn't report it's capabilities to HAL, so NetworkManager
ignores it. If you're not using ndiswrapper, it might be worth a shot.

The wiki page on this topic is here:
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/NetworkMagic

I'm not sure where Ubuntu is heading post-Hoary in regards to these two
projects, nor what the "shame about the implementation" is about in
regards to NetworkManager (it'd be nice to see that added to the wiki),
but for Hoary it looks like netapplet is the preferred solution.

--
niran