Default Mail Format Thunderbird

Albin Blaschka albin.blaschka at sbg.ac.at
Tue Feb 8 19:12:30 UTC 2005

Hello,

I am not quite sure where I should communicate this idea, so I am
starting here and I would like to know what others think about it ;-)

In my Thunderbird configuration, the default format for new mails is
HTML and I think that's a not so good idea.

Mails should be in plain text format (in fact, I know some mailing lists
where one will be banned for sending a HTML-Email...), as some
mail-programm (MUA) might have problems to display them correctly
(specially on the terminal), some spam-filters love to classify
HTML-Emails as spam and they may even be a security problem, when for
example a picture is not a real picture but a script...(at least this
could be a privacy issue). Maybe some more reasons could be found
(higher volume comes to my mind...).

Normal users I guess just do not care and because of the problems or at
least resentment it may pose (sending HTML-Mails), what's about at least
changing the default in Thunderbird (as a enthuiastic Thunderbird user,
I do not know what's about Evolution...) to plain text format for mails?
Is it possible? What do you, dear community, think about it? Or is it to
patronising?

greetings,
Albin
** Albin Blaschka, Mag.rer.nat.
**
** Tel.: +43 650 8442553
** It's hard to live in the mountains, hard, but not hopeless!