Acroread (Acrobat reader) not working

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:48:42 UTC 2005

I know this is a multiverse thing, but I'd really like to have it.  I know I can
install it manually from the Adobe installer, but I'd like to keep to
apt-get packages if possible.

It appears to be badly misconfigured.  Attempts to execute fail miserably.
The "acroread" command resolves to a shell script at /usr/bin/acroread,
which ends with the command
   /usr/lib/Acrobat5/bin/acroread "$@"

The command file does not exist.  There is an "acroread.sh" there, but if
I try that, I get an error message
   ERROR: Cannot find installation directory.

Does anybody have this beast working in Ubuntu?  If so, what's the magic?

++ kevin

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD