Ubuntu KDE

nocturn ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Tue Feb 8 08:35:15 UTC 2005

darkcoder Wrote:
> While I consider myself a KDE lover, I think Ubuntu should stay Gnome
> only.
>
> Any distribution that supports more than one DE ends up giving more
> support and eye candy to their primirary DE and forgot (or due to
> resources are unable to maintain) the rest:
>
> Examples:
> Fedora -> Good Gnome, others usually suck.
> Mandrake -> Good KDE, others suck.
> SuSE -> Good KDE, others suck.
> Arch -> Both KDE and Gnome are nearly stock, but Gnome is a crashing
> hell.
>
> If you want a Debian based distribution with Ubuntu comparable hardware
> support, package availability, and a KDE desktop, then go with Mepis.

Again, MEPIS is completely different from ubuntu.  There is no seperate
package pool like main.  But most important, there is no security
monitoring the stable branch as there is with Ubuntu, so the two don't
compare.

I'd rather have less Eyecandy on a certain DE then miss security
updates.

(I use Gnome myself, but my wife is running KDE on Ubuntu, as will my
parents).

--
nocturn