Security with Linux - Newbie

Chuck Vose vosechu at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 22:33:01 UTC 2005

> Even if you don't get something upgraded right away it's safer than
> Windows, none of this "twenty minutes without a firewall and you're
> infected" situation as can happen in Windows.

By default of course. This is why there are all the warnings about the
root account (and why Ubuntu ships without a disabled root account for
that matter.) The problem with the innvincibilty idea is that Linux is
just as vulnerable when someone who doesn't know what they're doing
gets behind the keyboard. In reality I would say that Linux is more
vulnerable since Windows doesn't let you do stupid things where Linux
will honestly let you do whatever you want if you're logged in as
root.

-Chuck