Synaptic finds no linux-source-* files

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Sat Feb 5 17:06:21 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 02:04:27PM +0000, rkimber at ntlworld.com wrote:

> Thanks, but much the same problem exists here too, namely that there is no source for the 2.6.8 kernel that was installed with ubuntu.
>
> sudo apt-get install kernel-source
>
> gives:-
>
>  kernel-source-2.6.7 2.6.7-3ubuntu2
>   kernel-source-2.6.6 2.6.6-2
>   kernel-source-2.6.5 2.6.5-4
>   kernel-source-2.4.26 2.4.26-6
>   kernel-source-2.4.25 2.4.25-3
>   kernel-source-2.4.24 2.4.24-3
>   kernel-source-2.2.25 2.2.25-3
>
> but nothing that looks vaguely like  2.6.8.1-4-k7-smp, which is what I have.

Ubuntu changed the package name from kernel-source to linux-source.  I
just did a reinstall of Ubuntu (don't ask) and 'apt-cache search
linux-source' returns linux-source-2.6.8.1.  The source packages won't
have such options as k7 or smp, since these are choices you make in the
configuration stage of compiling a kernel.

'apt-get install linux-source-2.6.8.1' should work for you.

Bob