Proper way to add a new disk in Ubuntu

Herman Bos spacey at lichtsnel.nl
Sat Feb 5 14:37:19 UTC 2005

John DeCarlo wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I just added a brand new hard drive to my Ubuntu system.  OK.
>
>Went into fdisk and created a partition for the whole drive.  A few
>false starts when I forgot to say "sudo" first.  (Sort of like Simon
>Says.)

I always use cfdisk myself but if you created the partitions and wrote
the changes to disk this should be OK.

>I now had an hdb1 on my system, but no /dev/hdb1 entry.   mkfs
>complained and wouldn't do anything.  I found that parted could format
>a partition, and it did an admirable job, although it only had ext2
>support that I could find (definitely not ext3).

I always format it like this:
sudo mkfs.ext3 /dev/hdb1

>Of course, still no /dev/hdb1.  So I couldn't mount it, either.

If you really don't have /dev/hdb1 are you sure its partitioned correctly.
check with:
sudo cfdisk /dev/hdb
If this doesnt work check if the /dev/hdb shows up in 'dmesg'.

Also check if the partition number really is hdb1 and not hdb5 or
something else.

You should be able to mount your formatted partition like this:

mount -t ext3 /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hd
(assuming the /mnt/hd directory exists)

If you want to have it mounted at bootup you can add an entry in /etc/fstab

>I couldn't think of anything else to try, so I rebooted (boo, hiss).
>
>Of course this fixed everything and there was a /dev/hdb1 again.
>
>Any recommendations on what I *should* have done?  Should I have
>restarted hal or something?
>
>Thanks.

I hope I understood your problem correctly. :) This how I add a disk to
a system myself, maybe it helps.

Groeten,

Herman