gmail anyone?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 13:33:42 UTC 2005

On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 00:16:21 +1100, Nicholas Comino wrote:

> [...]
<snip>
> > acceptible or desirable policy. My two cents was just
> > to make people aware of the issue and to use their
> > right to petition Google to find another model.
>
> If it's an automated process that does not record permanently any personally
> identifying information that is onsold for any reason, then I don't have a
> problem with it so much. They are far more up front with what they do and
> how they do it than any other freeware company (have you ever read the
> clauses in contracts where they say that there may be 3rd party licenses in
> the software which you are agreeing to because they're being referred to,
> and which include the spyware/adward/virus clauses??). I don't want to
> discourage their honesty. At least till someone shows they aren't all they
> seem, I'll trust them. ~Nick

Since these discussions pop up occasionally (and, unlike this one they
oftentimes come with erroneous assumptions)...

My favourite myth is that e-mail will appear in Google web serch
results... As an FYI this is what they say on the subject:

Will my Gmail messages appear in Google Search results?

No. The contents of your email are never included as Google Search
results. Google takes the security of your email information extremely
seriously. No humans read the contents of Gmail user messages without
explicit permission, or in circumstances other than those outlined in
our privacy policy.

To read Gmail's privacy policy, please visit:
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html.

You may also want to read some of our thoughts and a short FAQ on
Gmail and privacy: http://gmail.google.com/gmail/help/more.html.

Privacy Policy <http://www.google.com/gmail/help/privacy.html>

PS If you'd like to experiment with a  gee m-a -i-L account, let me
know (i've got two or three invites that having been doing a whole lot
of nothing for the past month)