Ubuntu installer

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Wed Feb 2 23:51:09 UTC 2005

> I know that Gentoo has a really good doco/howto for chroot and I'm
> sure I've seen on their forum's how to install from .iso
> Do some searching.. :-)

Hmmm, did some googling, searched the Ubuntu web forums.
Looks like Matt is right (of course he is ;-), it's hardly
straightforward. I give up.
It's a shame, because once you have downloaded the ISO image, it only
makes sense to install from it. Why would you have to burn it on a CD
then start from there. Sounds like an necessary step.
And how are people without Cd burner, supposed to proceed ?

We really should have simple tool to do that automatically. If Mandrake
can do it, why could Ubuntu not achieve it. :-/

I understand that 99.9% of people will just burn the CD, but when you
can't burn ? Sure, you can get free offcial CD's, but mine took exactly
2 months to arrive.... so had to resort to download the ISO, then remove
my hard drive from the machine, and take it to a friend who had a CD
burner (got my own CD write only very recently). The drive got damaged
during transport and now makes a horrible loud and high-pitched noise
when spinning. Had to get a new drive to save my ears.... :-/

Wouldn't it be possible to just download a small installer, that would
fit onto a Floppy disk, Zip disk or USB stick ? The machine would boot
from that, the little program loads and then we point it to the ISO
image ?

Vince