OT: reply-to on mailing lists [Was: gnome-font-viewer]

Michael R Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed Feb 2 21:56:26 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 07:44 +1000, Daniel Saunders wrote:

> p.s. - For some reason gmail automatically choose the lists email
> address for replying to.  I don't know if this is a Gmail thing or a
> Ubuntu-users thing, but I like it!

Some mailing list administrators instruct the mailing list software to
set the message's 'reply-to' header, which causes that to happen.

There are differing opinions on whether this is good[1] or bad[2].

I happen to like it, since, as seen in your email, the reply-to headers
can be combined, rather than overwritten (something that the 'harmful'
crowd seems to harp on).

mike

1] http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml
2] http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html