Kernel + Hotplug problems for warty and hoary

paul paul at xkopex.com
Wed Feb 2 18:52:53 UTC 2005

Hi all,
i'm happily running warty here on my laptop, but it doesn't install
without a bit of a fiddling around.
when I initially boot the ubuntu cd, I have to supply the acpi=off
argument. If i dont do that, I can get past the initial install, but
upon rebooting the system to finish the install, the hotplug process
hangs dead after a couple of the modprobe fatal error messages.

the only way i've found to fix this is to recompile a kernel myself,
either kernel.org or ubuntu sources. then i can boot(without the
acpi=off argument) and the system comes up fine.
i'm not sure what i'm taking out/putting in my kernel which fixes it.

this happens on warty kernels, and the last hoary one i tried.
just fyi :)

paul.