"wifi-radar" wanted

Pybe squalidstuff at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 15:32:36 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 09:11 -0500, Ciaran m wrote:
> I only have 3 truemobile cards so i might actually update the firmware
> with that hack, i did find it on google. the other problem i have is
> that my laptop with pcmcia has ubuntu on it only. i have a pci - pcmcia
> adaptor so i will put that in my desktop where i run windows and update
> from there.
>
> Can you tell me what else i need to do please?  =D>

THIS IS WHAT I DID, IT KINDA WORKS FOR ME BUT MOST PROBABLY WITH B0RK
YOUR COMPUTER!

What I did for my Dell Truemobile 1150 Mini PCI (which is no guarantee
that it will work for you) is get the hacked fw update (googled it) and
the latest driver from proxim, installed the driver under windows & made
sure the card was using it, then ran the fw update. Install the kernel
source, then get a patched Orinoco driver from here:
http://www.tzi.de/~plasmahh/orinoco.html followed the instructions and
then made a backup of 3 files
in /lib/modules/<your-kernel-here>/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/:

orinoco.ko
hermes.ko
orinoco.cs

Then took the corresponding 3 files that had been made from the patched
source and copied them over the old ones in /lib/modules/blah......

Restart the relevant bits and voila I have scanning mode and kismet
works.

Problems I do have are that if i run kismet and others after I have
finished using it I have to take down the eth connection and restart
networking and pcmcia or the cpu busts at 100% (dont know why)

Also I am sure that the next time I install a new kernel from the
updates not only will it be using a different orinoco driver, I will
have to re make the patched one and overwite it again etc.

I know there will be a better way of doing this and would appreciate any
pointers if anyone is interested.....

Pybe