Skype

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:49:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:14:47 +0000, Norman Silverstone
<norman at littletank.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 18:00 +1300, Christoph Georgi wrote:
> > The 1.0 release is now available...
> >
> > christoph
>
> I have had a look at the website and there are 5 versions listed for
> Linux. Which one should I use please?
>
> Norman

The static version is definately the one to get if you dont use any
more QT apps (KDE stuff)

install it with:
sudo tar -jxvf skype_staticQT-1.0.0.1.tar.bz2 -C /opt

then change the rights so that anybody can use it
chmod a+rw /opt/skype -R

you can then run it using ./opt/skype/skype

Alternatively a quick look at apt.get.org reveals that adding

deb http://www.bootsplash.de/files/debian unstable main

to your sources will allow you to add and track skype through synaptic.
The usual warning about installing non-ubuntu packages apply. YMMV
This one would be nice as it will likely add a menu entry etc, but
they are slightly out of date (0.90) but as the 1.0 version was only
released yesterday - the repository will likely be updated in the not
too distant future.

Tom

Q: How many freudian does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Two - one to change the bulb - the other to hold the penis...

.... I mean ladder!!!