gnome-font-viewer

Thomas Beckett thomas.beckett at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:18:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 13:01:22 +0100, drx <drx at a-blast.org> wrote:
> > Last night my girlfriend asked me to make a few quick signs for her
> > using Comic Sans. As ubuntu doesnt have this font I thought Id copy it
> > from her laptop. I thought you could just copy them to the fonts:///
> > folder and a font importer window opens (this didnt happen) but a bit
> > of searching revealed that I needed to use fc-cache  (or whatever it
> > was). Anyway - I got the font working in staroffice just fine but in
> > the fiddling process I right clicked and selected open in font viewer.
> > Nothing happened. I then tried gnome-font-viewer from the command line
> > on the ttf and it seg faulted. I just took a quick look at bugzilla
> > but couldnt find anything, this a new bug? or me being a muppet and
> > doing something wrong?
>
> I succeeded with installing fonts by copying them to the folder
>
> ~/.fonts
>
> After that they showed up fine in all programs i tried.
>
> To drag files into the fonts:/// view didn't help as well, and
> doubleclicking on fonts to view them did not do anything in nautilus.
>
> drx

Yea like I said - I got the fonts working fine - I assume by puting
them in the fonts:/// folder they are available system wide rather
than just for the one user (~/.fonts) . i probably didnt need to use
the command to refresh the fonts (probably an old tip on the net).

Anyway - looks like the gnome-font-viewer is broken in Hoary - maybe
its changed format like the menus for Gnome 2.9 (are you using Hoary?)
Ill post a bug report.

Tom

Q: How many freudian does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Two - one to change the bulb - the other to hold the penis...

.... I mean ladder!!!