Screen set-up

Keith Powell keith at keithg4jvx.force9.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 12:01:37 UTC 2005

I haven't seen this problem on the list, so I hope it hasn't already
been answered!

After installation, the desktop and, consequently, the applications are
shifted well to the right on my monitor screen.  The left side of the
desktop is well away from the edge of the screen (giving a wide band of
black), while the right side is so far over, that I can't see the "trash
can" or the scroll bars.

I am running two other distros and have tried several others.  With all
of these, the desktop is correctly positioned, almost touching the edge
of the screen on either side. It's just Ubuntu which is giving me this
problem.

Is there any way of altering the desktop's position in Ubuntu and move
it to the left? I can't find a way.

If I physically alter the settings of the monitor, all other distros are
wrongly positioned.

The monitor is an LCD and Ubuntu is set to the correct settings of
1024x768 at 75Hz.

Many thanks

Keith