Hoary Install on AMD64 with SATA Drive

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 01:05:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 22:25:47 +0000, Colin Watson <cjwatson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 03:48:12PM -0500, Byron Poland wrote:
> > I know this was sort of mentioned in the Array 3 notes, but I wanted
> > to report this to the list.  I just put together an AMD64 box based on
> > the Abit AV8 motherboard.  The Hoary Live Cd released the other day
> > works great.  And yesterday's daily installed.  However for some
> > reason grub doesn't seem to get installed, or isn't functionable.  As
> > the Bios tries to and off to the bootloader and it just hangs there.
> > (Blinking cursor after the "Verifying DMA Code........"  There  is a
> > post indicating the same problem in the forums, saying Suse 9.2 worked
> > fine.
>
> It appears to be a kernel bug, which as far as I can tell has not yet
> been fully diagnosed or fixed:
>
>   http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0501.3/1083.html
>
> I'm still trying to track it down in the absence of any input from
> linux-kernel.
>
> > A fix or a work around would be much appreciated.
>
> Starting the installer with 'linux noexec=off' may be a workaround,
> although of course it removes all the protections that the NX bit gives
> you.

Well I gave this a shot, and it didn't seem to get me anywhere new.
still no grub installed as far as I could tell.  I am in the middle of
a warty install right now, and am in the 2nd phase, so I know grub was
installed okay.  FYI, I was using the Feb. 1 Daily install for AMD64,
with the linux noexec=off boot, and it didn't work.