Install problem: Dell Inspiron 3500 laptop

John Green johnallengreen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 2 00:07:09 UTC 2005

I've learned a little bit:

Alt-F4 shows the install log (I didn't know that), and the problem is
with /cdrom/dists/stable/*

If I switch to a console session with Alt-F3, and then look at
/cdrom/dists, there are the following zero-length files: local, stable,
testing, and unstable. Those should all be sym-links to dists/warty.

If I view the CD from Windows, of course it looks the same (no
symlinks), but if I mount the CD from a Linux machine, then those files
are symlinks, as they should be.

This caused me some confusion when I was checking the MD5SUM for the CD
under windows - there were 18 files reported missing because Windows
didn't follow any symlinks. It would be nice to warn users about this,
somewhere obvious on the disk. When I checked the MD5SUM by mounting the
CD from the machine booted with Linux, all symlinks were there and all
MD5SUM checked out OK.

I'm searching the forums with better keywords now, and seeing that
others had trouble with the same thing on Dell Inspiron laptops. I
haven't found a resolution yet.

Regards,
John