wireless on either eth1 or eth2

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 19:17:19 UTC 2005

I have a Dell laptop using Dapper with both an internal wired card and
a wireless card.  While the wired card always shows up as eth0, the
wireless card shows up as either eth1 and eth2.  Which one of eth1 or
eth2 it uses seems to change at nearly every reboot.

While it's not really impacting the functionally of my laptop (except
for the gnome-network applet; I currently keeps two in my panel, one
or eth1 and one for eth2 to be sure I always have one that works by
default), I find this curious, and I don't remember this happening in
Breezy or earlier in the Dapper cycle.  I also uses netapplet, which
may or may not be related to this.  Anyone has any insight of why my
laptop is acting that way?

--
Daniel Robitaille