vobcopy on breezy

'Forum Post ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Sat Dec 31 14:38:41 UTC 2005

Todd Slater Wrote:
> > cd'ed and did your vobcopy -m

> > Had a properly-formed VIDEO_TS hierarchy mirror image on the
> external

> > drive the way I wanted it in fifteen minutes flat. Now I'll try

> > wine/DVD Shrink afresh.

> Is it possible to create a dvd5 image from a dvd9 hierarchy on a hard

> drive?

> Todd

Hope I haven't introduced nonsense into this thread as yesterday was
merely attempting proof of concept I can copy an unencrypted
single-layer DVD-Rom DVD5 1:1 using Breezy. Once I manage that I'll
worry about DVD9.

My results yesterday were "almost there, got more work to do learning
Linux" so please bear with me:

- -vobcopy -m- made good mirror image of source DVD5 on external
  drive in a vfat partition

- With vobcopy's output on external FireWire drive I burnt image in
  K3b as new DVD Video project 4.1GB in less than seven minutes.

  Trouble was K3b stuck output K3b.img in a temp, then hidden KDE
  folder (I run Breezy Gnome) I stupidly couldn't find. Logged out from
  Breezy then back in, finally restarted Breezy all over, and when
  finally found KDE temp folder it had been cleared by the restart!

  Oh well, when finally got back to point of re-attempting burn vobcopy
  all over again as an image in K3b it said something about inadequate
  VIDEO_TS folder contents and K3b choked

- So ran wine 0.9.4/DVD Shrink on external drive vobcopy file - all
  encoded 1:1 perfectly by DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 (Don't know how I forgot
  about wine/DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 as would have burnt 1:1 - silly to be
  doing this in DVD Shrink) in about 8 minutes

- Now using this wine/DVD Shrink's output I tried burn image again in
  K3b but same VIDEO_TS error message thrown by K3b every time.

Now midnight, logged off Linux and re-booted notebook into Windows XP
to load Nero 6.6.0.18. Burnt ISO from that external drive vobcopy
output, then burnt Nero ISO to a blank DVD5. Stuck DVD-R in living room
player, one more beautiful DVD-R to watch. Interestingly Windows in
Windows Nero took 14> minutes to burn DVD-R compared to Breezy K3b's <7
minutes to build K3b.img so if I can only get K3b to work...

Methinks I screwed up the Linux K3b stage, and it was not just by
"losing" that K3b.img on first go-around.

Whenever I eject a source DVD-ROM from external USB 2.0 Plextor DVD
Recorder and insert a blank DVD+-R to burn or insert another DVD-ROM I
have to re-mount the drive in terminal. It says no media even when
there is, so I mount the blank DVD, Breezy says it's read-only so I
chmod to make it +rwx.

For sure I'm doing things all wrong as I should be able to eject/insert
DVDs at will as session owner. So is my /etc/fstab wrong and causing K3b
to choke?

/etc/fstab with no DVD+-R/RW in either/or /media/cdrom1 at Breezy
start-up

Code:
--------------------
    username at ubuntu:~$ cat /etc/fstab

  #

  proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0

  /dev/hda3       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1

  /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0

  /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

  /dev/scd0       /media/cdrom1   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0

  /dev/sdb        /media/usb0     auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0
--------------------

and here's what have in mount as type this windy post

Code:
--------------------
    username at ubuntu:~$ mount

  /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)

  proc on /proc type proc (rw)

  sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

  tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

  usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

  tmpfs on /lib/modules/2.6.12-10-386/volatile type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)

  tmpfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,size=10M,mode=0755)

  /dev/sdb2 on /media/Sgate_2 type ntfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)

  /dev/sdb1 on /media/SEAGATE type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,quiet,shortname=winnt,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=077,iocharset=utf8)

All help greatly appreciated, TIA.

--
daibak