Linux BootLoaders

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Fri Dec 30 06:24:15 UTC 2005

Vram a écrit :
> On Fri, 2005-12-30 at 06:39 +0100, J.Markoll wrote:
>>>Lilo is going back in time..
>>>It doesn't have the power of GRUB.
>>
>>>I can't think of any reason to go backwards.
>>>Vram
>>I've read that many times from people, but when my BIOS was too old and
>>had to
>>be updated, (but I searched what and why, before trying) and when my
>>connecteurs and cables were not quite good, before I changed them, and
>>got disk boot failures with 'Grub 21 error' as it could not see the HDD,
>>I reinstalled a distro with lilo, and lilo booted the distro (with
>>errors when invoking lilo, but it booted). Lilo can also handle
>>dual-boot very well (multiboot I'm not sure).

>>Grub is supposed to autoconfigure, but the last three kernel updates
>>leaded to misconfiguration of the /boot/grub/menu.lst, and the first to
>>a kernel panic (I put a glance at the file before rebooting, the other
>>times) and this, on two different machines/kernel versions (a k7 and a 686).

>>The root and kernel lign came with:
>>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>root            (hd0,6)
>>kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12-9-686 root=/dev/hda8 ro quiet
>>=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
>>instead of root=/dev/hda7

>>what a fun! :(
>>I keep erasing the 'splash' line, it puts it back each time, too.
>>That's why I would consider studying Lilo further, and experiment. Why not ?
>>a '/sbin/lilo' after a kernel update is not a big deal to invoke after
>>all. Do anyone know and use it ?
>>Thanks, and best greetings, Joyce Markoll.
> Ok.. So I used it for years.. What do you want to know???
> I resisted switching to GRUB!!!!
> Vram
If you don't have Lilo now, you can't play, sorry :))
I have questions about how to deal with the /etc/lilo.conf file ;)
And how to handle multiboot with it.
Grub is a mini-os, and that's fun to play with, and also edit the lines
at boot and so on. That's true.
http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/grub/grub.htm

Here snow, and cold, all over the place. Time to drink a coffee :)
Joyce Markoll.