sudo blocks aliases

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 30 04:58:39 UTC 2005

In my synaptic pkg. mgr. I can click the status button and see what I have installed, and not installed.  Below the pkg. window is another window and several tabs for description, dependency, installed, versions.  When I clicked the not installed, descriptions and versions, it listed the possible shells, which one was installed, the type, size and description for each one when I highlighted it.  I was interested in which one I should use because I wanted to install an oracle database on my system.  The installation instructions said I needed to make files with bash, and I couldn't until I switched to the larger Bourne Again shell.  I'm not making it up!  I don't know if this information is on all Ubuntu pkg. mgrs., but that's what it said in mine.  I browse through that thing all of the time, trying to find things to add to my system for developing.  Every time I try to work with a database or something, I end up going in there and adding another item!

William Grant <tanarrifujitsu at optusnet.com.au> wrote: On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 20:20 -0800, James Diehl wrote:
> That's not what it says in my Ubuntu pkg mgr.!
>
> William Grant  wrote:
>         On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 19:20 -0800, James Diehl wrote:
>         > It's not a shell called Ubuntu. In the synaptic pkg. mgr.,
>         if you
>         > switch to status mode, at the end of the line for each item
>         under
>         > installed version/latest version, it will say Ubuntu or
>         whatever. If
>         > you open the tabs in the lower box, you can get a
>         description and
>         > explanation for the items.
>
>         The default shell that Ubuntu (along with the vast majority of
>         other
>         distributions) uses is bash. bash = Bourne Again SHell.
>         Because of this,
>         commands for bash will run fine in bash, therefor in Ubuntu.
>         Get your
>         facts straight, Vram, please.
>
>         William.

Where exactly does it say this?