sudo blocks aliases

J.Markoll j.markoll at free.fr
Fri Dec 30 05:01:57 UTC 2005

Peter Garrett a écrit :
> On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:20:44 -0800 (PST)
> James Diehl <jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>It's not a shell called Ubuntu.  In the synaptic pkg. mgr., if you switch to
status mode, at the end of the line for each item under installed
version/latest version,
it will say Ubuntu or whatever.  If you open the tabs in the lower box,
you can get a
description and explanation for the items.

> I'm utterly puzzled by your posts, James. Not even sure what the heck you
> are talking about.

> The standard shell in Ubuntu is BASH

> peter at prospero:~ $ echo $SHELL
> /bin/bash

> It doesn't lack anything. As far as I know it's a complete and functional
> "Bourne Again Shell".  "sh" is also symlinked to bash:

> peter at prospero:~ $ ls -l `which sh`
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 4 2005-10-22 14:50 /bin/sh -> bash
>
> I have no idea what on earth this is about - if someone understands it, do
> please enlighten me...
>
> Peter
Hello,
This man is a newbie who wants to look a bit advanced maybe, and he's
full with "fortunes" :)
by the way, the newbie who talks to you (me) would be most happy to
learn about this one command line: ls -l `which sh`
it avoids you to 'cd' to '/bin' before invoking 'ls -l', or does it do
more ?
Thanks to enlighten me, :)
Joyce Markoll.