Dual Boot Problem

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 04:04:27 UTC 2005

> I don't know any other words to explain it!  I talked to several people
> that use both programs, and they all said "Don't run Linux, then Windows!"

How about running Linux, then Windows, then Linux, then Windows, then DOS
(yes, DOS), then QNX then Linux then Windows?  Because that's what I just
did this morning.  With no hitch.

My suggestion for the future is talk to people who know what they're talking
about instead of people who spread misinformation instead of saying "I don't
know".

They offered no technical explanation, but after looking at the languages
> and command structure, I can only surmise that it has something to do with
> either the Debian nature, or the difference in binary.

Which languages?  Which command structures?  What in the bloody blue blazes
are you talking about?!

UNIX and its clones are mostly written in C with some assembler tweaking
here and there.  Windows XP is mostly written in C with some assembler
tweaking here and there.  Languages have nothing to do with anything!  And
as for command structures -- what you're saying is about as meaningful as
saying "don't speak Chinese before speaking English because otherwise your
brain will be unable to process English words ever again".

So, James, sit down.  Stop blithering.  Take stock.  Then explain what you
did: coherently and step-by-step.  Don't speculate on reasons why things
happened--no insult intended, but you are clearly technically ill-equipped
for such speculation at this time--just report the facts as clearly, lucidly
and completely as you can.  I'm sure that someone on this list -- maybe even
me, given that I multi-boot practically for a living -- can help you figure
out what went wrong.

And for future reference?  Your friends?  The ones that told you that you
can't dual-boot XP and Ubuntu?  They're wrong and they're also dishonest
about it.  Don't go to them for help anymore.  They will do more to damage
your computer and your ability to use it than a fire axe would.