Databases

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 30 03:27:24 UTC 2005

I found those articles too!  I've been trying to lie to it for 3-4 days!  When I try to make the files they say to make, nothing happens.  When I try to login as Oracle user,  I get:  "What's an oracle?" Never heard of that command!  I can't get it to install some of the programs, like apt stuff either!  I haven't given up yet, but I have a few less gray hairs now!
 I'm pulling them out!
 Diehl, James

Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote: James Diehl wrote:

>  Does anyone use a Oracle database on their Ubuntu?

Yes.

>  My Open Office 2.0
>  says that I can.  It lists the different types of databases that can be
>  accessed on a network.  If I download a base, the program can locate it
>  on my PC and let me open the files and display the contents.

I'm not at all sure though that OO is telling you you can run Oracle on your
system - just that you can connect to an Oracle database.  In any case, it
can be done.

I've run both Oracle 8i and 10g on my Ubuntu system (never got 9i to work).
There's a few quirks, and the current version of 10g refuses to install
because I don't have enough memory.  I wish it would let me ignore those
things...  It's not like I need an Enterprise-ready db on my laptop, it's
just a testing platform.

>  It reports
>  that the drivers for the base are all defective, and won't let the
>  installers run.  Is there a trick to making them work?  If not, is it
>  because of the Debian?

I can't understand your question.  Just google for "Linux Oracle 10g" and
you should find a couple of reliable how-tos.

The first time I did the 10g install, I had to lie and tell it that I had a
RedHat system.  The last time I found a workaround for that.
--
derek