New Kernel won't install on Dapper

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Fri Dec 30 00:01:15 UTC 2005

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 13:22:56 -0800 Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:

> does apt-get dist-upgrade  gives yuou any hints of which packages are
> beeing held back?
> (and for which reason)?

I haven't used apt-get on Ubuntu (so far, Synaptic has been
"good enough" for me), but on another Linux distribution
I use, 'apt-get dist-upgrade' *does* list the names of the
packages which have been held back.

I then manually type in 'apt-get -s install package_name'
and it tells me the reason why that package is being held back.

[By the way, if I anticipate problems fetching ALL the packages
 that aren't held back, I will use the '-m' option flag with
 apt-get -- that tells apt-get to go ahead (in this case, with
 the install) even if it fetched only part of what it wanted.]

mikus