Databases

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 29 17:36:02 UTC 2005

Thanks Joyce!
 I didn't install the ION, I have so many other things on the list already.  I started with the 5.10 Badger, then was upgraded to 6.04, now I'm at 7.01 w/ 2.6.12-10 Kernel.  I'm on the Apache 2 common/threaded server, w/Courier Imap SSL 3.0, Firefox 2.0 and Thunderbird on POP3 Yahoo DSL.
 It sounds like a strange combination, but there's hardly anywhere I can't go!  I'm a comp. networking systems & IT student at ITT Technical, and am really getting into the Unix/Linux programs.  So much of the studies at school, the other students, and most of the teachers are Microsoft Windows fanatics.  In the last 1 1/2 years I've had MS-DOS, 95, 98, 98SE, XPHome, XP Pro, & for the last 2 months Ubuntu Linux.  None of my Windows programs held up to my work load, or to the adware/spyware/viruses that are on the web.  They don't have the developer programs on Windows that I find and use on Linux either.  If you do find a program you want, you have to mortgage the house, car, wife & kids to afford to buy it!  I think that's a little rediculous!  Linux programs are getting hot!  If Windows doesn't get it's Longhorn Shorthorn Vista thing-a-ma-jiggy out soon, they may not find anybody that wants it!  The way things are going up, it may cost $700 for home version anyway!  But enough of
 the soapbox preaching.  Right now, I'm studying database systems management with Access/Oracle.  I believe that if I study as many different programs as I can, when I graduate with that CNS & IT degree, I should have a better chance of getting a great job, maybe as Developer/Administrator or such!

"J.Markoll" <j.markoll at free.fr> wrote: Well James , you're the student, and I'm a newbie, very interested
indeed, but a newbie. I found a link where the author says he found an
interesting way to get Oracle function, I thought it may interest you.

For the diverses apps you say, it may be useful for one thing or
another. I'm not running a server, I'm on a 56k with a serial modem, and
I use an AMD Athlon XP 2800+ with a 2.6.12-10-k7 kernel under Breezy.
(Plus Slackware I was starting to meet with, but it's broken for now).

The k7 kernel is better for my burn CD device, and I'd like to take the
time to learn to/and compile the kernel one of these days.

The environment: for a server, none is really necessary ? :D
I've got Gnome and Xfce and Ion3 plus Konqueror for navigation in the
files under Ion3 once a while, as nicer looking with it's pretty colours
  and icons.

I use most Gnome and Ion3 : Xfce4.2 is in between boths. (more heavy
than Ion3... lighter, than Gnome... ). I practically never use it
anymore since I discovered Ion3 which is really a good affair!

For Oracle and this link, I would try and follow this doc step by step,
if I needed to get it work :)
Best greetings, Joyce markoll.