shortcuts for panel applets

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 16:37:46 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, 'Forum Post <ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org> wrote:

> I think it's difficult to bind any key to any arbitrary application
> because the keyboard shortcuts properties in the System--> Preferences
> menu allows only default commands to be bound to keyboard. You can try
> Applications--> System tools--> Configuration editor and play with its
> settings. And please post here when you've found it because I'm looking
> for a similar solution myself. :)

Yes, the confuguration editor does provide a way to bind
any key to any arbitrary application (I assume you are using the
metacity window manager).
This can be done through
/apps/metacity/global_keybindings and
/apps/metacity/keybinding_commands keys.

However, what I require is to set keybindings to activate some
gnome-applets for which I cannot find any suitable command, and
without a command to activate them, how do I bind them to a
shortcut?

Regards,
Santanu