Databases

James Diehl jms_diehl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 29 16:30:33 UTC 2005

Joyce,
 I am running "Breezy Badger" 7.01 w/ 2.6.12-10 Kernel and KDE desktop environment.  I have the My SQL + PostGreSQL among others, 2.0 Open Office, a Bourne Again shell and i386 on AMD w/K7support.  I have Macros, and several different Java programs, including the Sun Java programs that Oracle requires.  Should all of this really be necessary?
 It seems as though I have enough files and such to set up a network database for a thousand computers!  Is the main problem the Debian kernel program?  Everything I see on the Oracle site, and others say; "Debian won't accept this, Debian won't work with this, Debian this, Debian that, etc.........................!"  What's the hangup?
 Thank You! Diehl James

"J.Markoll" <j.markoll at free.fr> wrote: > James Diehl a écrit :
> Does anyone use a Oracle database on their Ubuntu?
> My Open Office 2.0 says that I can.
> It lists the different types of databases that can be accessed on a network.
> If I download a base, the program can locate it on my PC and let me open the
> files and display the contents.  It reports that the drivers for the base are
> all defective, and won't let the installers run.  Is there a trick to making
> them work?  If not, is it because of the Debian?
> I am a CNS and IT student at ITT Technical, and would like to work on developing
> the program.  I am studying database system management and VB w/GUI's right now,
> and would sure like to make these conversions/crossovers and such work.
> Any help would be appreciated!
I just found the right link for you, while seeking for something else:
here a how-to to make Oracle work under Ubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/tOraOracleSetUpHowTo?highlight=%28CategoryDocumentation%29

for a reminder to all who need it, the list of category documentations
is here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryDocumentation

Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.