How do I run a shell?

Bill Cairns CairnsWW at eskom.co.za
Thu Dec 29 10:59:16 UTC 2005

NB: This email and its contents are subject to the Eskom Holdings Limited EMAIL LEGAL NOTICE

which can be viewed at http://www.eskom.co.za/email_legalnotice

Reply - thanks Julio, I will try it.

I thought that the Linux convention was that $HOME/bin was on the PATH?

Bill

On 29/12/05, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at eskom.co.za> wrote:
> I create a folder bin under my home directory.
>
> I create a file called dir in bin. The contents of the file is simply one line "ls".
>
> I add execute to the file properties.
>
> I type dir in the terminal window.
>
> In SuSe I get the listing from the ls.
>
> In Ubuntu I get "command not found".
>
> In Ubuntu, if I type ". dir", it works.

You probably don't have '$HOME/bin' on your PATH. Edit .bashrc and
add, on the end

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

Close the terminal, open it again and it should work.

--
Julio Biason <julio.biason at gmail.com>