Mac On Linux

Peter Gort pgort at iprimus.com.au
Thu Dec 29 07:24:40 UTC 2005

Hi All,

I'm a very occasional user of Ubuntu...I'd like to use it more.

I've just installed Breezy on a 2004 model Apple Titanium Powerbook,
1.5Ghz model.  I've been very pleasantly surprised at how many things
not only "just work", but work well.  I haven't touched Ubuntu in about
a year, and it's really come on...so much so that I'd like to see if I
can stay in it more in my professional time, which means I HAVE to be
able to run Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Anyway, I thought I'd have another go at getting Mac-On-linux working. I
tried to get it working once before about a year ago, and failed.
Seeing that the instructions at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacOnLinuxHowto
seem to have been updated for Breezy, I thought it might be a successful
venture, but alas, I've got the same problem I had a year ago.  This
time I thought I'd ask for help.  I'm not an experienced Linux user, so
I'm probably missing something blindingly obvious, so be gentle with me.

I followed the instructions very carefully, including copying and
pasting the exact instructions given into the terminal, to avoid my
dyslexic typing.  I got up to the section on running as a normal user,
edited
         /etc/mol/molrc.osx
and allocated 256MB to MOL.  I've got 1G Ram in the Powerbook so I
thought this a reasonable amount.
When I started it with
         startmol --osx
the first time, I got an error about missing modules.  I rebooted the
system to make sure all variables are in the default state and tried
again, and this time I got a window with the Penguin hugging the Apple
to it's nose.  "Hooray" I thought, but it never went any further, and
the terminal window I invoked it in has hundreds of lines of
         RVEC-DEBUGGER <1882>
in it.

I tried
         startmol --loadonly
and that apparently succeeds.

I tried
         startmol --test
and got a bunch of stuff that starts out

         Running in PowerPC 7400 mode, 48 MB RAM
         Timebase: 18.43 MHz, Bus: 73.72 MHz, Clock: 749 MHz
         Failed to lookup IRQ
         Using USB mouse on /dev/input/mice
         Could not open '/var/lib/mol/x11.kbd'
         Failed to register sound card
          *             Testing performance         *

and ends with

          *          Self-test successful           *

I'm guessing there's some setting in the config file I haven't got
right, but I really don't know what I'm doing.  Does anybody know how /
got experience with getting Mac-On-Linux working?

--
Peter Gort <pgort at iprimus.com.au>