Problems using sound

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 04:31:09 UTC 2005

On 12/28/05, David <david at kenpro.com.au> wrote:

> > > Unfortunately, I'm not getting any sound at all (other than hiss). The
> > > output of lspci -v is:
> > >
> > > 0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
> > >         Subsystem: Creative Labs: Unknown device 100a
> > >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
> > >         I/O ports at d400 [size=32]
> > >         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> > >
> > > Can you give me a clue where I find the chipset/driver info?
> > >
> > > many thanks...
> > >
> > > David.

> > whoops, jah urnot teh original postar lolz omgz mai bad lolz
> > (and now for something completely different...)
>
> wow... where did you learn that cool language ;-)
>

> > there seems to be quite a bit of hate and discontent surrounding the
> > audigy series under linux.
> > lets see if the driver is even registering and grabbing an interrupt:
> > 'cat /proc/interrupts'
>
> david at test:~ $ cat /proc/interrupts
>            CPU0
>   0:  174549850          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:      56877          XT-PIC  i8042
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   5:     378237          XT-PIC  eth0
>   7:          3          XT-PIC  parport0
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>   9:          1          XT-PIC  acpi
>  11:     214240          XT-PIC  uhci_hcd:usb1, ohci1394, snd_ca0106
>  12:     250541          XT-PIC  i8042
>  14:     652791          XT-PIC  ide0
> NMI:          0
> LOC:          0
> ERR:          0
> MIS:          0
>

> > if so, see if the card itself if seen by the system at all: 'cat
> > /proc/asound/cards'
>
> david at test:~ $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [CA0106         ]: CA0106 - CA0106
>                      AudigyLS [Unknown] at 0xd400 irq 11
>

> > if that all seems to work, I'd rmmod all the snd* modules, "tail -f
> > /var/log/messages", and then "modprobe snd-ca0106.ko" and check the
> > messages output for interesting entries.
>
> I tried something different here.... does this tell you what I need to
> know?
>
> david at test:~ $ lsmod | grep snd*
> snd_ca0106             27172  3
> snd_ac97_codec         72188  1 snd_ca0106
> snd_pcm_oss            46368  0
> snd_mixer_oss          16128  2 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                78344  3 snd_ca0106,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer              21764  1 snd_pcm
> snd                    48644  10
> snd_ca0106,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore               9184  2 snd
> snd_page_alloc         10120  2 snd_ca0106,snd_pcm
>
> david at test:~ $ sudo modprobe -vn --first-time snd-ca0106.ko
> FATAL: Module snd_ca0106.ko not found.
>
> regards...
>
> David.

you need to leave off the .ko extension, otherwise every module will
give that error back.

just try: "modprobe -r snd-ca0106" - if this fails you'll have to try
removing the snd_modules in reverse order by dependency, whatever that
order may be(?)
then:  "modprobe snd-ca0106"
then: "dmesg|tail -n 30"

there should be an entry in dmesg for the inserting of the module, and
then i'm guessing some errors or additional info regarding it as well.

--
Noah Dain
"Single failures can occur for a variety of reasons that have nothing