Zope problems

Michael Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 02:54:11 UTC 2005

OK, I've given it a shot.  Zope still breaks out of the box.  In the most
annoying fashion possible.

Here's what I did:

   1. I uninstalled and wiped all traces of Zope from my system.
   2. I installed Zope 3 and the Zope 3 sandbox.
   3. When it asked for the admin name, I left it as "admin".
   4. When it asked for a password, I gave it the lovely, creative
   password "admin".
   5. I gave it port 6870 to listen to.
   6. When it all finished (no errors reported) I fired Firefox and
   connected to "http://localhost:6870".
   7. Connection is rejected.
   8. For good measure I repeated on 192.168.0.3 (my local IP address)
   and 127.0.0.1.
   9. Connection is rejected in all cases.

For an OS that's supposed to "just work" and for software that is
"officially supported" (if the icons are to be believed), I'm ...
unimpressed.  This is the Linux I remember -- the Linux that only works if
you're willing to spend thousands of man-hours to hunt down obscure issues
that finally make even trivial accomplishments seem like heroic ones.

Any help available, or does Ubuntu go the way of so many previous Linux
distros and I go back to Windows -- where Zope "just works".

(Sorry for the tone, but I'm finding this whole process incredibly
frustrating.)