Skype or Gizmoproject.com was: Re:HasUbuntuReplacedWindowsonYour Box?

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Thu Dec 29 01:43:36 UTC 2005

On 12/28/05, Phillip Sc. Boegh <psb at ipl.dtu.dk> wrote:

Right - but I have not seen any on-board soundcards to Laptops that cannot
> use the Gizmoproject.org. What is the Laptop-name?

I have a chinese klone I bought from Linux Certified last year; it came
installed with Fedora but I have since replaced that with Ubuntu. As I
indicated in an earlier message in this thread, I have been able to launch
Gizmo, but only before using other audio programs, otherwise I get that Failed
to execute child process "audiowrapper" error message when I try to start
it. As such, it makes it difficult to experiment with Gizmo, since I
generally prefer not to reboot unless I really need to. Usually, I leave my
systems running for weeks on end, althought that isn't always the case with
the laptop with which I am travelling at the moment. Skype isn't totally
cool about sharing the sound with other programs, but at least it will
launch.