Ubuntu 5.10 minumum requirements

David Hart ubuntu at tonix.org
Wed Dec 28 17:04:17 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 11:29:52AM -0500, Tom Hines wrote:
> On 12/27/05, Jeff Fuller <ultron33 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yes! Works Ok on my 128MB , 350mhz.
>
> That's good to hear.  Would you, or anybody else with 128 MB, try the
> Live CD and tell me how it went.  I'd appreciate it.

Live CD on PII with 128MB and no swap took so long to boot that I
didn't bother waiting for it to complete.  With swap the system was
slow but usable for things like checking compatibility.

I've done quite a few Gnome installs of Breezy on PIIs this past couple of
months and my take on memory is that 96MB is barely usable and would drive
most people nuts but 128MB improves that considerably.  With 192MB to
256MB you can have a good few apps open without the disk trashing
constantly.  I haven't put it on a PII with more than 256MB.

But all of this is quite subjective - there's no substitute for
trying it out yourself.  Look around for some cheap (second hand even)
hard disks and you've nothing much to lose by trying.

--
David Hart <ubuntu at tonix.org>