Ubuntu 5.10 minumum requirements

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Tue Dec 27 23:35:13 UTC 2005

Tom Hines wrote:

> Hello.  I tried to liberate my sister from Windows last weekend.  She
> has an Intel Celeron 500 mhz, 128 mb ram.  To see if she had enough
> horsepower, I tried to boot Ubuntu 5.10 Live CD., but it failed.  It
> just took forever and I finally gave up.  I concluded that she didn't
> have enough memory.

> The 5.10 release notes say that 128 mb is enough.  Is that true?  Does
> Live CD require more than that?  I'm reluctant to install it until I
> see Live CD running on it.  Is anybody running 5.10 with 128 mb ram?

Any live CD will run better in limited RAM if you can supply it with a
native HD swap partition to use. Try a Knoppix CD. If it works, you
should be able to run [K]Ubuntu. You can use the Knoppix CD to shrink
the doze partition to make some Linux swap space.

What's less true is the minimum HD space requirement. Trying to fit any
modern Linux on less than about 4GB is simply a bad idea, even if you
ultimately succeed.
--
Jesus Christ is the reason for the season.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/