Knoppc 4.0 K'ed my breezy boot splash--how to revert?

Larry Grover lgrover at zoominternet.net
Tue Dec 27 14:43:15 UTC 2005

Brian van den Broek wrote:
> Hi all,
> Brand new to ubuntu and linux. I installed ubuntu breezy, but also put on
> kbunutu desktop, so I could see what I liked best brtween KDE/Gnome.

When you installed the kubuntu-desktop package, it brought in the
kubuntu-artwork-usplash package, which contains the kbunutu themed boot
splash.

> Everytime I booted up, I got the ubuntu boot splash, as expected. Today, trying
> to tace down a hardware problem, I booted up with Knoppix 4.0. Now my boot
> splash is the kubuntu one. That seems rude :-)

Well, this has nothing to do with Knoppix -- by coincidence the first
time you rebooted after the new (kubuntu) boot splash was installed and
configured (automatically) you just happened to reboot into knoppix.  If
you had simply rebooted into K/Ubuntu, you would have seen the same thing.

> This linux newbie has no idea how to fix that. What would I need to look into?

I've never done this, but there is a page in the wiki which describes
the process of creating and configuring a custom boot splash:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USplashCustomizationHowto?highlight=%28usplash%29

Based on the information here, I think what you need to do is:

(1) Open some type of terminal (gnome-terminal, konsole, etc)

(2) From the command line, run this command:

	sudo update-alternatives --config usplash-artwork.so

Enter your password at the prompt, then you should see output something
like this:

There are 3 alternatives which provide `usplash-artwork.so'.

   Selection    Alternative
       1        /usr/lib/usplash/usplash-default.so
*+    2        /usr/lib/usplash/xubuntu-splash.so
       3        /usr/lib/usplash/kubuntu-splash.so

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:

If you want the default Ubuntu-themed boot splash, select the number
corresponding to usplash-default.so.  On my system, this would be number
1 (I have three alternatives because I have installed kubuntu-desktop
and xubuntu-desktop, in addition to the gnome ubuntu-desktop).

(3) Last, run this command:

	sudo dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-$(uname -r)

I believe this command rebuilds the initial ramfs used by the kernel
when it boots, and which contains the boot splash image.

This should fix things the way you want.

> And for those who are thinking "but Knoppix doesn't change anything
> permanently", I understand the scepticism. All I can tell you is after 30+ boots
> with the ubuntu artwork, one knoppix boot just long enough to run acpi -V later,
> and the art has changed.

Well, I still think Knoppix doesn't change anything permenantly (unless
you explicitly tell it to).  However, your Ubuntu system does sometimes
change things without telling you -- like the boot splash image when you
install a new *ubuntu-desktop.  I guess it would be a little friendlier
if the system asked you to select a preferred boot splash when you
install a second (or third) *ubuntu-desktop package, but it doesn't.

Regards,
Larry