usb problems

Paul O'Malley ompaul at eircom.net
Tue Dec 27 08:11:42 UTC 2005

Michael Satterwhite wrote:

> I'm still trying to get my printer (Epson C84) setup in ubuntu. The
> printer - like most today, is connected by a usb port. When I finally
> managed to get the printer into a configuration file, I noted that the
> port picked by the configurator, is /dev/usb/lp0 - which makes
> absolutely no sense.
>
> I looked a little closer, and it doesn't appear that I have *ANY* usb
> ports in /dev. Either (a) I'm losing it or (b) something wasn't properly
> detected when I changed to ubuntu a couple of weeks ago.
>
> Can anyone help me get the USB ports properly set up so I can put my
> printer on it? I do appreciate all help.
>
> - ---Michael

Hi,

I find it to be the same:

ompaul at dhcppc0:/dev/usb$ ls -l
total 0
crw-rw----  1 root lp 180, 0 2005-12-24 20:58 lp0

This machine has been around for months so the date my be a clues as to
what has been happening.
As of the 2.6 kernel dev is no longer static it is this new udev
creature from the deep and it is created on the fly.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev.html

To set up your printer consider doing this from the menu.

System -> Administration -> Printing

It should be pretty automagic after that, do set the printer as default :)

Some more info is here,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AutomaticPrinterConfiguration?highlight=%28printer%29
and more stuff here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installation?action=fullsearch&context=180&value=printer&titlesearch=Titles