sound help needed... PLEASE

David david at kenpro.com.au
Tue Dec 27 01:47:33 UTC 2005

All I ever get is loud static which comes through "analog front" only,
regardless of settings. Switching ON SPDIF in alsamixer stops the static but
then I get silence. Moving the slider to minimum OR maximum stops the static
but doesn't control the volume.

lspci says:
0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS

I've played with alsamixer to no avail. I've also followed the detailed
instructions at:

I've been through https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

Google isn't helping so far. I installed the card after upgrading to Breezy.
Prior to that, the box had no sound card at all.

Could this be a driver problem? How would I know which chipset/which driver etc?

Unfortunately, this is stopping me from doing an urgent job. Can anyone help?
Please? Pretty Please?

David.