Samba bug

Eamonn Sullivan eamonn.sullivan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 20:45:49 UTC 2005

On 22/12/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
>
> > On 22/12/05, Giorgos <pinkisntwell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is samba badly broken in ubuntu or what?
> >
> > No, but Samba remains as difficult as ever to configure correctly. The
> > issue really is that Microsoft won't release low-level information
> > about it's networking, which means the developers have to
> > painstakingly reverse engineer it. Can you post your /etc/smb.conf
> > (with some obfuscated bits, if you want)?
>
> It's pretty easy in KDE and I recall it being not too difficult previously
> with SWAT, so where's the problem?

Samba to Samba is easy, Samba to Windows in share mode is easy, Samba
to Mac is easy, but Samba to Windows XP just mysteriously fails now
and again, especially if you're unlucky. You have to fiddle with some
obscure items in the smb.conf. It happens. I'm just suggesting we take
a look. Is that acceptable? I'm not attacking Samba.

-Eamonn