bug-buddy depends -> MTA, cron depends -> MTA, Debconf depends -> MTA

David david at kenpro.com.au
Thu Dec 22 04:31:43 UTC 2005

Well.. technically speaking, bug-buddy doesn't depend on an MTA, but it
doesn't do anything useful unless you have one working, as I just
discovered.

It DOES send emails, so I guess the maintainer assumes an MTA... wot a
bad norty boy he is, making assumptions like that.

 The goal of bug-buddy is to make reporting bugs very simple and easy for
users, while making the reports themselves more useful and informative for
developers.

Strictly speaking, the same applies to Debconf. Just that error messages
vanish without an MTA installed. The maintainer doesn't list one as a
requirement either. All these assumptions..........

 Debconf is a configuration management system for debian packages.
Packages use Debconf to ask questions when they are installed.

As for cron.... well... . we all know about cron, don't we?

It's only a flame war. Please don't take me too seriously. I can assure
you that *I* don't.

Yes... i really LIKE ubuntu, and will continue to use it, but that doesn't
mean it's perfect, or that the gods don't make mistakes.

Merry Xmas (if you celebrate it)

David.