[OT] Booting into IBM Rescue and Recovery

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Wed Dec 21 19:46:26 UTC 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 08:47:10AM -0500, 'Forum Post wrote:
> When you install Grub it is a sin to do that into the MBR on a Thinkpad
> with Rescue Partition, you all know that by now.

FWIW, it is possible to boot the Rescue Partition even if you have GRUB
in the MBR.  You just have to change the partition type to 0x0b and ask
GRUB to chain-load that partition.

I suspect the standard ThinkPad MBR changes the partition type
automatically, when you press Access IBM during boot, and changes it
back to 0x12 on the next boot.

<snip instructions about installing GRUB into some partition's boot
record instead of the MBR, and changing the active partition>

Yep, I used to always do this back when I used Debian and LILO.
Ubuntu's installer doesn't make it obvious how to install GRUB somewhere
else other than the MBR, so I just let it do its thing and lived with
the consequences.

Marius Gedminas
--
Just a note: quantum gravity discussions are _clearly_ on-topic in
c.l.py.